Today’s graduate students face more than just the workload of graduate school. Many of them work full-time, attend graduate school, and have a family and home life. Needless to say, it can be a challenge, even for those who choose to earn their graduate degree online. While many adults choose to advance and further their education through the Internet, they still find it challenging to juggle the three balls in the air at the same time without dropping one.
Here you will find some tips to help you learn how to balance your work life with your school life and your home life.
1. Get organized. Life is busy. Whether you are a mom, wife and full-time employee or whether you are a mom and a student, there are not enough hours in the day to get everything done that you need to get done. The key to getting everything done as effectively and efficiently as possible is being organized.
Keep a master schedule that includes important dates for work, home and school responsibilities. Use a different color pen or marker to represent the three areas of your life. By setting a schedule for yourself, you are setting up a guideline for you to follow. Don’t add further pressure to yourself by rigidly trying to stick minute by minute to your schedule. Set your schedule with priorities, reorganizing your time so that you will stick to what is important.
Make a daily to-do list placing the most important things at the top of your list so you know that those are the items that must be done today. Try to get through as many items on your list as you can. What you are not able to accomplish today, place on your to-do list for tomorrow. If you have a husband, wife or significant other that shares responsibilities with you, then make them a to-do list also. Obviously, each of you will have different things on your list, but it will help to divide up some of the family and home life items between the two of you. It will also ensure that between the two of you everything should eventually be completed.
2. Time Management. Experts say that it is more effective to study in 15-minute intervals than it is to study for one straight hour period. Instead of wasting time during lunch at work, during your work breaks, while riding on the subway, waiting in the waiting room for an appointment, or standing in line at the grocery store, use this time to read your textbook or review your class notes. After you have put your kids to bed at night take 30 minutes to study before spending some alone time with your husband or significant other. By filling in some of your downtime with these types of activities, you will be able to accomplish more and more each day.
3. Make rules. When you have scheduled school time or study time for yourself, make it known to your family and friends that you are not to be disturbed during this time, unless of course it is a major emergency. You should block this time out on your schedule just like anything else. For added assurance place a “Do Not Disturb” sign on the door of your office or study area as a signal that you are not to be disturbed.
4. Work hard, play hard. Just like you schedule work meetings and study time, it is important to schedule leisure and fun time as well. Take the time to have fun and good times with your family. It is good for you to take a break from work and school to relieve stress and it is, of course, good for your family because they want to spend quality time with you.
5. Set an example. If you have children that go to school they will probably actually think it is cool that you have homework like they do. Create a group homework sessions, so that when it is time for them to do their homework, you are sitting right beside them doing your homework. You are leading by example because you are showing them that you have good study habits, and it will you to instill good study habits on them as well.
So while juggling three balls in the air at the same is hard for someone that is not a professional juggler, by using these 5 tips you will learn how to more effectively and efficiently manage all of your time. Soon your life will be running like a well-oiled machine that was easy to put in place with these 5 easy steps. Being organized is the key to success in the business world, in your school life and in your home life. Organizational and time management skills will help you get ahead no matter what the task at hand.